Early mornings and long nights – daily routines for the basketball season
I wanted to pin point on a subject that I think both parents and students are concerned about. How do I prepare for along day of school and manage basketball practices/ games? This probably takes a toll on incoming grade 9 students that transition from grade school to high school, and this could feel overwhelming.
Two things came to mind!
- Being disciplined through time management and;
- A healthy diet to prepare for practices, and game days
I’ll summarize a short article I found from USA Basketball – How to Eat Healthy before a basketball game
Bring on the Liquids:
- Drink water, before going to bed, at breakfast, lunch.
- Keep water available before games/ practice and after this way you keep your body replenished
- At all costs keep hydrated – high energy means that you can go out and compete
- Consume your meals 3 hrs before game to allow for digestion
- Have a snack easily available after practice or a game example: banana, granola bar, nuts
Increase calorie intake:
- Eat more healthy foods, increase your carbohydrate intake as you are burning more calories
- Recommended food items: meats, cheese nuts oils
Good sources of nutrition Vitamins:
- Fruits and vegetables
However you decide to piece your meals and nutrition together find a consistent routine and set reminders through your phone so that you don’t forget.
- Take the time to get small wins by taking on less challenging homework and build momentum each day to take on more challenging course work
- Prioritize your homework as priority number 1. Realize that your schoolwork will dictate if you play for your school/ club team. Whether you start. Or don’t get to play until the second half. This all boils down to you.
- Get help from your teachers before it’s too late. If struggling in a course seek help right away. Become friends with your teachers it’s a difference between getting an “F” or a “C”.
Let’s continue to get better.
Thanks for checking out this post – get in on a workout with me by clicking here to register